…We’ll cover accidental damage to computers, TVs and stereos as standard.
With the first school holiday of the year upon us, you may be planning to spend some of your time sprucing up your home. No matter how carefully home improvements or day-to-day activities within the home are planned, there is always the possibility of accidents happening. Teachers Building Society's home insurance, provided and underwritten by Legal & General, provides a level of accidental damage cover for both buildings and contents as standard. It is vital to ensure you have the right cover for your needs, so for an additional premium, you can include extended accidental damage to your policy and be covered against everyday accidents too, giving you that extra peace of mind in your home.
What’s covered as standard…
- Accidental damage to TVs, satellite, audio, video and computer equipment
- Accidental breakage of fixed glass such as windows and doors, and bathroom sanitary fixtures as well as breakage of mirrors, plate glass tops to furniture and fixed glass in furniture
- Accidental damage to underground pipes or cables serving your home What isn’t covered…
- Any damage caused by general wear and tear, cleaning, repairing or restoring, mechanical, electrical or electronic breakdown or anything which happens gradually
- Damage to items designed and intended to be portable or to hand held computer equipment and games, including mobile phones, laptops, iPad, Nintendo DS What’s covered under extended accidental damage… For an additional premium, we will also cover extended accidental damage on buildings and contents. Including, banging a nail through a pipe, putting a foot through the ceiling whilst in the loft, spilling red wine on the carpet or breaking a favourite ornament. What isn’t covered…
- Electronic failure or computer virus
- Damage to any mobile phone
- Damage caused by settlement, shrinkage or expansion of the buildings or the site
- Damage occurring while your home is undergoing demolition, structural alterations or structural repairs
- Damage caused by vermin, insects or fungus
- Damage to clothing (including furs), money, food and drink
- Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic pets
This is only a summary of cover and further limitations and exclusions apply, please see the policy booklet for further details, a copy of which is available here.
Imagine this scenario… Mr. James who had taken extended accidental damage cover decided to change the radiator in his bathroom, but when carrying the old one downstairs tripped and lost hold of it. The radiator fell onto the hall floor, smashing a number of tiles. A claim was made and Legal & General arranged for a building repair network to carry out the necessary reinstatement. For further information about protecting your home with Legal & General’s home insurance, please visit our Insurance pages.
Please note: always be cautious when undertaking any DIY task that you are not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.