Skip to main content

Home Insurance Choices (HIC)

Your home is your castle; naturally, you want to do everything you can to protect it.

Our Home Insurance Choices (HIC) buildings and contents insurance is a comprehensive cover provided and underwritten by Legal & General. So, if the unexpected happens, this home insurance policy can not only cover the value of your home and belongings, but also provide valuable help and support when you need it the most.

You should consider which of our policies will suit your needs. Our Home Insurance Choices policy will provide a 
higher level of cover, whereas our Simply Home Insurance policy ​offers lower levels of cover

As well as providing protection for all of the normal insurable events you would expect, such as fire, storm, flood, theft, vandalism, escape of water and subsidence, Legal & General's Home Insurance Choices buildings and contents policy also includes the following cover as standard:

  • Alternative accommodation, should you need to move out of your home because of an insured event
  • Home Emergency Cover – up to £500 worth of cover for call-out fees, labour costs and materials needed to make your home safe and secure
  • Cover for business equipment and furniture within the home including computers, fax machines and photocopiers
  • Replacing locks and keys to the external doors to your home if your keys are lost or stolen, up to £750
  • Accidental Damage Cover - applies to computers, TVs, stereo equipment, underground pipes or cables serving your home, and accidental breakage of fixed sanitary ware and glass in furniture and mirrors
  • Trace and Access – the costs of tracing the source of a water or oil leak - up to £5,000
  • Freezer contents cover - up to £1,000
  • Cover for contents in your garden - up to £1,000

For an additional charge, you can include:

  • Extended accidental damage cover to protect against everyday accidents, like driving a nail through a pipe or spilling coffee on the sofa
  • Cover for your personal possessions in and away from the home in the UK and worldwide. Choose from:
    • Unspecified personal property (includes personal money)
    • Pedal cycle cover
    • Specified articles

As with all insurance policies, there are certain things the insurance doesn't cover:

  • The first £100 of each claim, or the first £1,000 of each claim for subsidence, heave or landslip, and the first £250 for escape of water claims.
  • Loss or damage caused by malicious acts, vandalism, theft, escape of water, leakage of oil or breakage of glass or sanitary ware, or frost if your home has been left empty for more than 60 consecutive days. 
  • Storm or flood damage to fences, gates, and hedges
  • Money and pedal cycles stolen from your home, unless it was entered by force or violence.
  • Accidental damage to items designed and intended to be portable (such as laptops, tablets and mobile phones), or to hand held computer equipment or hand held game consoles, unless optional extended accidental damage or personal possessions cover is chosen.

The above are examples of limitations and exclusions that apply. For more details of what is and isn't covered, please read the Policy Booklet and Insurance Product Information Document (IPID).

Want to buy Home Insurance?

If you would like to buy a home insurance policy, please complete the form below and we will phone you back. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0800 378 669. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. We may record and monitor calls.

(* indicates a required field)

Please enter your personal information below

I do want to receive communication updates from Teachers Building Society regarding products and services as well as other useful information via: